We’ve already talked about 10 fun and fascinating things you may not know about breasts, but there are still more! With so much to be discovered about these features of the female chest, it’s no wonder that breasts are so popular. Here are some more interesting facts regarding breasts that many people are unaware of:
- Unlike most primates’ breasts that only increase in size when lactating, human breasts often begin to grow before menstruation and generally maintain their size after menopause and whether lactating or not.
- The breasts contain around 20 milk glands that are connected to milk ducts inside the nipple, which are held together with connective and fatty tissues.
- Brain scan data showed that when women’s nipples were stimulated, the area of the brain that corresponds to the genitals was also stimulated. Some women can actually orgasm just from nipple stimulation.
- The world’s largest natural breasts belong to Norma Stitz (born Annie Hawkins-Turner). Her bra size is 102ZZZ, and it seems her clever pseudonym is quite appropriate.
- By the middle of the 20th century the majority of women had abandoned breastfeeding and instead fed their babies formula from bottles. Fortunately, the medical and neurodevelopmental advantages of breastfeeding have been confirmed, and now the majority of women follow the advice of the American Academy of Pediatrics and breastfeed their babies.
- Within the last few years there has been an explosion of women employing wet nurses to breastfeed their children, and many milk-sharing networks have been established for women who are unable to breastfeed.
- Perfectly symmetrical breasts are very rare. In fact, the majority of women have a size difference of up to 20 percent between breasts.
- There are at least four types of nipples: “normal” nipples protrude a few millimeters from the areolas, “flat” nipples only protrude when they’re stimulated, “puffy” nipples have raised areolas, and “inverted” nipples have turned inward to some degree.
If you are interested in a procedure to enhance the appearance of your breasts, Dr. Samuel Beran is highly skilled in a wide variety of procedures. He is certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) and can provide healthy, natural-looking results. Please call (212) 792-7938 or fill out our online contact form to schedule your consultation today.